Saturday, June 21, 2008

2008 Topps Series 2 Pack




Alright, so I decided to go to my local Wal-Mart and pick up one pack of Topps Series 2. Twelve cards per pack, and if you're lucky enough to get a cut signature, they come with only five cards. The pack cost $1.97, and I figured I need to actually bust something on here, so why not? By the way, the picture on the left was taken on top of baseball book—100 Years of Baseball—with Joe Dimaggio on the cover (just in case you were curious on who that Pinstriper was).

Breakdown:

8 Veterans





  • Taylor Buchholz, Pitcher, Rockies (apparently no relation to Clay Buccholz)



  • Sergio Mitre, Pitcher, Marlins (having a career year, which I guess isn't that hard when your lowest season ERA was 5.71)



  • Derek Lowe, Pitcher, Dodgers (an underrated pitcher who's 3.82 career ERA was 20% better than the league)



  • Rod Barajas, Catcher, Blue Jays (it's probably just me, but I think this guy's name is fun to say)



  • Matt Morris, Pitcher, Pirates (he's probably washed up now, but he was fun to watch in 2001)



  • Andre Ethier, Outfielder, Dodgers (I'm told this guy is going to be a star, and from the looks of his stats so far, I can see it happening.)



  • Noah Lowry, Pitcher, Giants (had surgery on his left forearm and hasn't pitched a single inning in 2008 yet)



  • John Patterson, Pitcher, Nationals (I'll just type out what it says on the back of his card: "John is an ace-quality starter but, unluckily, he's had as many arm surgeries as victories the past two years." If you say so, Topps.)
3 Rookies




  • Jayson Nix, 2B, Rockies (So far this season, he's 5-for-45...so yeah)


  • Harvey Garcia, Pitcher, Marlins (no comment)


  • Felipe Paulino, Pitcher, Astros (gave up 5 ER in 3 innings in his Major League debut)


1 Insert




  • Campaign '76 card, Jimmy Carter vs. Gerald Ford (if you were paying attention during history class, you know who won this election)




So, all in all, everything I expected from this pack; nothing. But, that's what you get when you buy a retail pack of 2008 Topps Series 2. I was going to take pics of the cards, but I'm still trying to figure out how to set up a good layout on blogspot, so it might take some time.


I actually got some money, so I might even bust my first ever hobby box soon! I'm thinking Topps Chrome 2008, or maybe something high end for once. Stay tuned for more packs, boxes, baseball in general.


Thanks for reading!


Max

1 comment:

Mick said...

Interesting cards you got out of a pack.